Thursday, June 9, 2011

Faggot

I usually agree with Alexander. But one thing struck me as really really strange. She was telling me that she thinks accepting the fact that people use terms like “faggot,” “that’s so gay,” and “no homo” is all part of “coming out.” I guess since almost all of my followers are probably gay, take a second to take that in. Lemme give you some examples of what she means.

One day, some guy was singing this song that had “no homo” in it, and I stopped him right before he could finish and half-jokingly half-seriously said “what, Steven? [the guy’s name]” He started to feel bad that he was about to say it, and he asked my friend about whether or not I was serious about being offended. She spoke for me and told him no.

Today, actually, another guy was talking about a teacher that nobody really likes, and he was about to call him a “faggo—” until I said “come on now, Brian [the guy’s name, obviously]” My friend then goes and says to be right after my response, “Leroy!” in one of those what-are-you-doing tones.

Now, she doesn’t mean that part of “coming out” is that you know that people say things like that because I know people will/do— it’s that you should do nothing about it when people do say “faggot” and “no homo” and the like. Note that this is all coming from someone who says “come on now” when someone swears.

No.

I’m going to whole-heartedly disagree with you. I know that it’s a habit for a lot of people, but that doesn’t mean that I should stand there and do nothing when people say it. It doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t express some kind of disapproval. I’m fine if they only don’t say things like that around me, and go on to call everyone “faggots” and say “no homo” because it’s only me who doesn’t want to hear that crap. Just like how you don’t want to hear people swear around you, I don’t want to hear people belittle my people. As a matter of fact, I think defending gay people is an obligatory part of coming out. So no, Alexander. You’re wrong. Your double-standards are ridiculous.

5 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you! Getting someone to think twice about saying in front of me might make them do the same everywhere else too. That's the kind of change we need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I am a teacher and I have heard boys jokingly call each other fag and it really bothers me. What if one or more of them is gay? Hearing words like fag must make them feel horrible. I can only imagine that it must make them feel horrible because I am not gay. But if I can imagine it, why can't other straight people? Words matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend is wrong.

    She is right that you should be able to hear it, accept that people say it, and not be hurt by it or take it personally.

    But that doesn't mean you shouldn't speak up. You're the judge of when to do that. Vaeyle is right. Words matter, and even if what they say doesn't hurt you, who else is around? If a younger kid is nearby, just struggling to come to terms with his own feelings, what message would he get, hearing those hateful words and thinking that everyone around agrees or maybe even approves of the sentiments, because nobody objected to them?

    You were right to say something in those instances. You won't always feel safe speaking up, I'm sure, and the fate of gay liberation doesn't rest on your shoulders alone. Nobody requires you to be a hero.

    But you were a little bit of a hero then, and on behalf of anyone you helped, I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Thorny. I'm not stalking you! LOL! Just trying to broaden my blog-following horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not like the words faggot, nigger, homo or any other derogatory word and I am not shy about telling someone that either. Though I was going to get my butt beat because of this one night when a guy started saying some really hurtful crap about blacks. I kept my mouth shut until he decided to put his hand on my arm in order to see something on a jacket I was wearing. Told him in no uncertain words, to take his hand off of me and gave him a go to hell look. He asked me if I had a problem and I said yes, you. I went on to tell him exactly what I thought of him and what he was saying. I have 13 neices and nephews who are black or mixed and 2 black brother in laws. I did not appreciate having to listen to his mouth. He shut up for the rest of the night. The next time he came in, he apologized to my husband, but never said a word to me. Thing is, I know he wasn't sorry for what he said and never will be, he was just another drunk a*****e.

    ReplyDelete