Friday, December 10, 2010

Postponing Happiness

The other day, Tiffany was reading me passages from that Don't Sweat the Small Stuff book. One passage talked about not postponing happiness; how you shouldn't expect to be happy later, for you should be happy now. It talked about how you expect to be happy when you get a girlfriend or boyfriend, and when you're not happy then, you expect to be happy when you get married. Then when you're married, you're still not happy, and you expect yet again to be happy when you have kids. Then you think the kids are too young and make life difficult and expect to be happy when they get a little older. Once they're older, you have to deal with them being my age now. Then you expect to be happier when they move off to college. You expect that at some point, you will magically become happy instead of making proactive steps to achieve happiness. You expect to be happy some time, just not now.

I guess thats exactly what I'm doing. I expect to be happy later and that it would just happen eventually. I think I deserve to be happy... Perhaps I deserve to be happy. Either way, I want to be happy. Now. It's these proactive steps I'm having trouble making. But I guess that statement in and of itself is an example of how I'm postponing happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment